Sunday, February 9, 2014

A Second Look...

Yesterday I played in Barb Engler's Scramble over at the Hero Arts Flickr group. I love scrambling with these uber talented ladies.  Barb required the following items in our card creation: Pink, Heart, Silver and of course a Hero Arts stamp that was more than just a sentiment (easy to do they have such a wonderful selection and my collection is taking up a box and 2 bins).

It took me about 80 of the 90 allowed minutes to make my card, photograph it and upload it.  I had trouble with the sentiment and I did far too much heat embossing for a scramble, not to mention the fussy cutting which I detest!

I stamped 5 floral hearts from the Hero Arts Set LP269 in Pearlescent Coral and heat embossed them with clear powder. Then cut them out. Next I punched a small circle and layered the hearts around it to create a flower. A sliver brad was placed in the middle. Next I inked a white doily with Memento Angel Pink ink and heat embossed that. The doily had a slick surface so the ink wasn't sticking well. It was fine after the heat embossing.

My card base was silver heat embossed Hero Arts Hexagon Background. This just seems like such a masculine stamp, but I love the mix with the girly flower and pinkness.

I wanted a bit more punch so I layed the doily on a piece of scrap glittered cardstock (again with the fussy cutting...)  My sentiment was silver Hero Arts ink on a pink inked scrap of white and then whole thing heat embossed with clear powder.

I plopped that flower piece in the midlde and offset the sentiment, looked at the clock and panicked... 75 minutes gone...I quickly photographed it , uploaded and posted to the group.

After the challenge I looked at the card, and while it is a fine card...I wasn't happy with the design.  So I decided to take a second look.  Hmm.... it needs something...
I moved the flower piece, and added a sweet patterned organza ribbon in a soft pink shade.  Now I feel it is more balanced, and I love the result.  Now it can go on its journey to its recipient!

Which one do you think looks more pleasing?
Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

joy said...

First of all, you were very brave to attempt heat embossing and fussy cutting everything in 90 minutes. But, the results are fabulous! I like your first card, but the revised edition is just a little more polished. The ribbon and bow are so pretty! Great job, Cat!

Jean said...

Fabulous combination! Really like that silver-embossed background stamp!

Greta said...

Beautiful card, Cat! I love the little changes--really made it! I have that ribbon in several colors but it never seems to get on a card--LOL!

Barb Ghig said...

I love the original, but I agree...the ribbon adds so much to your design! So pretty!