Saturday, March 24, 2018

Twofer Blossoms

Hi there!

I am getting my twofer in on the last day of the challenge. 







I used the Altenew Rose Flurries dies for both cards along with some paint chips.


I love a lot of the cards I see made with these dies, but I had a difficult time figuring them out.  There are so many dies with this set almost 30.  5 flowers with 3 - 4 layers each, 3 leaf dies with two pieces each along with several single layer dies for filler.

My first try with the roses is on the right side.  The colors are a bit off, but it was a lot of work so I'm going with it.    Then I decided I had to organize the dies. Below is a photo of the dies and the layering guide.
I layed out each of the dies and traced them on magnetic vent cover material.  I labeled each outline, and also labeled each flower on the package insert so they corresponded.  This made it MUCH easier to build my flowers and choose appropriate colors.

Since I was using paint chips for the differing colors, it makes sense to look at each layer see what it covers. You'll see on some of my cuts there is writing and the white separation line from the paint chips. These blemishes are covered up by following layers.

I hope seeing my process helps anyone else struggling a bit to get these fabulous flowers put together.

Thanks for stopping by.





10 comments:

Betty said...

love those dies (on my wish list) and you did such fabulous cards with them - wonderful colors - thanks for the tips on organizing them.

Greta said...

Oh my goodness--these are gorgeous, Cat! I'm not good with complicated, so I'll just admire your work. Still plan to eventually get the 3D Fantasy Floral die set--not so intimidating. The paint chips worked beautifully--I never use mine, but need to!

Darnell said...

First of all, Cat, your roses are such beautiful bouquets!! Good job taking all that time to create them and thank you for the excellent tip on organizing them to make the work easier!! I love the wonderful interest you've added with each of your backgrounds!! Thank you so much for playing along in Twofer Card Challenge #3! Hugs, Darnell

Verna Angerhofer said...

I think both of the cards you made with these dies are so gorgeous! I can see where they might be a bit complicated to work with but I think you did an awesome job. Thanks for sharing them. And, also thanks for joining the Twofer Challenge #3.

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

These are both so pretty! I have seen them in some videos and thought they did look rather complicated! I think your indexing method is a good way to keep track of them! Lovely job all around!

Susanne Vargas said...

These roses have so much dimension and look so beautiful! Adore both backgrounds, too!
Thank you for joining us at the Twofer!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Gorgeous pair of blossom cards, Cat! And great idea for organizing this die set! I use the vent covers too (learned from Tim Holtz) but have never labeled like that - fantastic!!

Loll said...

Both cards are so beautiful Cat! Wow, what a lot of dies to figure out. Good that you were able to come up with a system to make it easier. It's an engineering feat making the roses ... they turned out AMAZING! Thanks for playing along with us at Twofer Card Challenge!

Anita in France said...

Your rose clusters are just lovely, Cat ... bold and dramatic against the strong green background ... and soft and pretty with the delicately textured white! Great job organising the myriad of dies! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Twofer! Hugs, Anita :)

TK said...

Wonderful flowers -- and you're way better than I am piecing those babies together! Beautiful!