Saturday, May 4, 2024

05-04-24

 Hello-

After a week of mid 80's its raining and 56 today.  Perfect day for that last pack of stew meat in the freezer.  Its been in the crockpot about 9 hours on low and if the aroma is anything to go by hubs and I will have a tasty bowl soon.

The rain is also good for making cards.  I have two cards to share for three challenges. 

First up Seize the Birthday - Off the Edge

Waffle Flowers mini slimline die finally came out to play with their wild flowers stencil (this is configured for the regular A2 postage collage die, but a bit of futzing around and I got it to work. The round sentiment is from the fall stamp set and the banner is from Pinkfresh. 

The size of this card is about half an inch shorter that the coin envelope I mail it in so it was perfect for an off the edge sentiment banner.

 

 

My next card was a redo of a panel that got sent to the trash.  I don't give up often but there was no saving it.  When I shop online I often check the clearance sections.  I found a Pinkfresh stencil set that was 4 panels so not so arduous  but the stamp set was not available. It looked dooable and it was marked WAY down; I took a chance on it.

The first attempt showed me there were two area of teeny tiny flowers that I could not make look right they needed definition. Outlining didn't help so back to the drawing board.  I used a black copic friendly pen to trace along the stencils opening for the vase and the leaves. Then I added the color using Altenew Inks. The final two stencils were all about the flowers and the shading on the leaves. Once that was done I was left with a bouquet floating above the vase. I drew in stems, added stems to the leaves and flowers and used some copics to color them in. As a final touch I outlined the flowers freehand as well. The sentiment got a touch of purple as well as a bit of whimsy.

This will go to the Flower Challenge and Color Hues.

   

Thanks much for visiting!


19 comments:

Karen said...

Both cards are great! All your persistence and hard work certainly paid off with the lovely bouquet of flowers! You made that stencil come live with your detailing and outlining. Thanks for sharing with us at Color Hues!

Nancy said...

I think you have two outstanding cards here, Cat! First, your Slimline card is just as pretty as can be. I love how you added the sentiment strip. As for card two, Your outlining of the image is just perfect and the card is so pretty. You have totally inspired me with this post. Thanks for playing along at Seize the Birthday and Color Hues.

Marcia Hill said...

Two fabulous cards Cat! I love the slimline card and how you made the A2 stencil work for the slimline card...I will definitely have to try that! And your stenciled card with the detail outlining is AMAZING! Where there's a will, there's a way, and so happy you persevered with this beauty as it is just lovely and showcases our challenge colors beautifully!! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Color Hues my friend!! Hugs. :0)

HilaryJane said...

Love both these. You have reminded me that I have some of those mini postage die cuts. Thanks for the inspiration. I will try and get them used soon. Sometimes things are too much of a bargain to miss even if a key part is missing, but you wouldn't know just by looking at your card. Now you have explained it I can see, but your vase of flowers looks gorgeous and needs nothing more. Hope you enjoyed that stew (I could almost smell it) and that you get your warmth back soon xx

Jeanne H said...

I too think both of these cards are just wonderful. Your hand drawing parts was a great idea and I admire you did it. tfs

I Card Everyone said...

I can't wait to have that Wilflower Postage Collage in my hands, Cat - 'til then I'm so happy to see yours in these pretty oranges and blues!
As for your second card, it's great and a really fun way to make us stretch, my friend! Love it!
=]

TK said...

Very pretty, Cat, and impressive that you freehand outlines those flowers!

Barbara said...

I am truly inspired by both of these cards. The first card where you use this postage stamp so well with the lovely images in each position is very inspiring. I have that dye and stamp but not in slim line and I love what you've done here. The next card is also inspiring because you took advantage of a great sale and made it work without a stamp. I am in awe.
Thanks so much for linking up with us at Seize the Birthday Challenge. Hope to see you again.
Barbara DT

Bonnie said...

I love your mini slimline postage stamps with the off the edge sentiment! I wish the post office would make stamps as pretty as these! You did an awesome job with the stencil. I think it would be very hard to do the stenciled flowers without any outline. You've done very well!

papierelle said...

Oh there is a slimline die from Waffle Flowers. How genius!!! I'll probably have to go shopping again... *laugh*
Your beautiful card doesn't help me say no either.

Leslie Miller said...

I wouldn't have guessed that your second card was an improvisation had you not said something. You did it beautifully and the color looks wonderful! I love that lilac vase. Back to the first card... one of my favorite card sizes and now they have a postage die for it -- cool! You made your stamps work perfectly with it and it looks fabulous! I really like the sentiment, too. I'll bet your beef stew was as good as it sounds. I love those make ahead dinners that whet your appetite all day as they cook.

Laurie Unger said...

Way to go on your bouquet of flowers and saving it from the circular file! Nice job! thanks for linking it up over at The Flower Challenge.

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Sweet spring flower duo, Cat - love the mini slim postage card with the off edge sentiment & your stenciled flowers look so pretty in their vase!!

Jean said...

Both of these are lovely! Perfect for the season. And well done on improvising without the stamp set - incredible job!

Stef Perry said...

Both cards a fabulous Cat! I am so impressed how you made the stenciling work on the card for CH! It turned out so lovely due to your cleverness and a steady hand drawing in all those lines lol! Thanks so much for joining us at Color Hues!

Stef Perry said...

I forgot to add, thank you for sharing with us at The Flower Challenge as well!

Tracey McNeely said...

CT I just love your Postal College card. I have the main die but have not purchased the stamps and stencils yet, after seeing your card I can't shop fast enough! Beautiful!!

Greta said...

The WF card is really delightful--love everything about it! Boy are you creative making the stencils work without the stamp! Glad your bargain buy paid off!

Loll said...

Two beautiful cards, Cat! Love the first one with the very happy, sunny images. Definitely brightened my day!! And your second is awesome. You did a great job using just the stencils. Fabulous colours too! Bet your stew was yummy! :) xx