Sunday, August 10, 2014

Celebrate

http://onlinecardclasses.com/SYS2/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/SYS2_participant.pngOn to Day 6 of Stretch Your Stamps 2. Again while downloading and printing the class PDF, I was struck by Debby Hughes' card on balsa wood, the colors she achieved were so striking.  As it was after midnight, another CASE was in order.

I scrounged through my scraps box and found some patterned papers, and some balsa wood...well maybe it was a bit thicker than balsa wood -- it was not happy being die cut, but with a few judicious scissor snips all is good.



I used the same stamp from Clearly Besotted's Fresh Flower set, along with a die from Cottage cuts for the sentiment. The balsa wood really does suck up the ink. I used Spectrum Noir markers, and got some color on the white stamens...but the blender solution on a cotton swab took most of it off. The bits and pieces include a Tim Holtz paper clip, some Hemptique hemp cord, Martha Stewart sequins, Heidy Swapp spray color mist and Stampin Up Pearls.

Thanks so much for stopping by, I am off to bed!

6 comments:

Kathy Palmer said...

Beautiful coloring of the flowers! I like the red!

ThePurplePlace said...

Oh WOW!! So happy I stopper by this page too! Love Love Love this version of Debby's fabulous card! I also had fun playing with that stamp set myself and think the flowers are gorgeous. I don't' own any wood veneer and never though of your great idea of using the Balsa wood! I also LOVE the colors you used and think this is a new favorite! This class is awesome...but then again, I'm an online card class addict and seem the LOVE every one!!

Jean said...

This is stunning! Wonderful colors!

Greta said...

What a neat card, Cat! Love the colors!

Barb Ghig said...

Absolutely stunning take on Debby's card, Cat! I love how you colored the flowers, and how you layered your papers...so pretty!

Lin said...

Love how this turned out, Cat! I was too chicken to try stamping and embossing, but I will try it now that I've seen several successful cards using this technique!