Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Layers...

I am usually hurrying at the end of the challenge period trying to get my card made photographed and blogged.  This time I decided to make my entry for Virginia's View Challenge #14 - Layers and dimension early.  I love the look of vellum overlays, and that was the inspiration for my card.

The color palette I used is not my usual style at all but, I ended up loving the soft blues, teals and green - for me that is a big switch...I love my colors bold!



I started with clear embossing the Hero Arts Numbers background onto some water color paper.  I added a layer of water colors in blue, green and teal to the card.  After it dried, I swiped a damp baby wipe over the face to bring out the numbers a bit more.  My next layer is vellum, since I was placing white die cut elements I needed that background to fade just a bit.  I did cut the vellum layer slightly smaller than the water color panel on the sides so their full color would show a little bit.  My next layers are white die cuts, Bold Blooms and Merry & Bright both Ellen's Essentials. I added  three clear sequins with dots of eucalyptus stickles in the middles.   Then more layers, white to frame it all and then a blue card base.


Thanks so much for stopping by, and give the challenge a go - it is open until May 18th.

4 comments:

Lin said...

I love the use of vellum, too, Cat, and your card is gorgeous! Love the colors and your mix of elements!

Leslie Hanna said...

LOVE the vellum overlay! And in my world, I'd cut it like you did if only to get it to line up. I'm terrible at getting things the same size. I've also had my eyes on those Ellen dies. Still thinking.

Oh, and you picked my favorite colors - blues & teals. YUM!

Greta said...

Oh my dear Cat--one of my all-time favorites! I love vellum & pastels & here's a perfect example of why! Will have to case this one so I'm pinning it. PS--if it's taking up too much room you could always ship it to me--hint, hint!

Barb Ghig said...

Absolutely beautiful card, Cat! I love how you layered the vellum panel and the die cut blooms and leaves are gorgeous! Love the color palette, too! I really 'need' this set of dies...thanks for enabling me again :)