Thursday, January 8, 2015

A Fresh New Year



I just returned home from 3 weeks in California.  I spent a lot of time with my Dad and the cats...not yet 9 months old and they are no longer kittens. 

I had made several cards and set up several blog posts to run in my absence.  I took no cardmaking supplies with on my trip and had almost no time to craft.  I missed making cards so much.

Upon my return home, I had tons of mail to go through, lots of blogs to catch up on, and before starting some cards a new watermark to create.

I needed to start with something not too complicated until I get back in the groove.  The clean lines of the Freshly Made Sketches looked like a good starting place.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-IQr55DnjjUo/VISWKXt_qKI/AAAAAAAABuw/7MqFkztGvuU/s1600/FMS%2BFinal%2B168-001.png



I was anxious to play with the Simon Says Stamp January card kit. I liked the stamp set, the papers and the other goodies in the box.  

I needed a thank you card for my Godson, and this sketch seemed a good match for a masculine thank you.

I used the darker colors of  patterned paper that came in the kit, as well as the "thanks" and "so much" stamps from the kit.  I used a sheet of Stampin Up paper for the card base and the diecut , since the kit's piece of purple paper was shiny, and that probably would not be a good bet for a guy card. 

I stacked the "hey" three times to give it some heft, the die cut is a bit delicate, I glued them together with a Zig two way glue pen.

The 'thanks so much" was stamped with Simon's premium white pigment ink (also in the kit) and embossed with white embossing powder.

The sketch challenge runs several more days, give it a shot. This is a great sketch in my opinion.

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Supplies:
SU Carstock - Elegant Eggplant
Memory Box - Hey Die
Simon Says Stamp Set- Hand Lettered Winter Wishes
Various patterned papers -  Bo Bunny Altitude Collection
White embossing powder

10 comments:

Jean said...

Great take on the sketch! I particularly like your heat embossed sentiment!! Welcome home!

Barb Ghig said...

Welcome home, Cat! I love the boldness of the white sentiment against the eggplant background and the fabulous pattern on the paper! You did an amazing job on the sketch!

Betty said...

wonderful card, Cat ! i'm so glad to be home after 3 weeks also - i missed making cards too!

Greta said...

Striking card, Cat--bet he will love it! So glad you made it home--I'm sure your hubby was missing you big time!

joy said...

Love this card, Cat! And, I like your new watermark. I need to get one designed for me, too. Good to see you posting again.

Leslie Hanna said...

Welcome home! Way to ease back into the crafty world. This sketch is on my list, too.

PS: You said heft. I love that word, and employ it often. :)

Becca Cruger said...

LOVE it! I bet you had so much fun opening up all your mail! This card is superb and you're right - that is a great sketch!

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

Great take on the sketch Cat! Love it! Hazel x

Linda Callahan said...

This is so cute! The embossed thanks looks great! Thanks for joining us at FMS!

Jen Brum said...

Great card! Love that rich background colour! Glad you had a wonderful trip! Thanks for joining us this week at Freshly Made Sketches!